Saturday, February 03, 2007

Some progress pictures...

This is the progress on "Dad's Sampler". It is from the "Australian Embroidery and Cross Stitch" magazine and if anyone really wants to know which issue just ask...I will look (I do think I've posted that info before.)

I've completed all the dividing bands (after much frogging and restitching) and all the lettering is over one - I think the fabric is 32 count Dublin linen but it's been so long since I started this one - I forget!

It uses DMC threads, and horrible DMC shiny stuff - can't recall what that is called (edited to add RAYON! ) and while the effect is nice, the stitching is painful! Lots of lovely Thread Heaven put to use for that stitching!

I will endeavour to finish 'off ragged mountain ranges' during February.....

EDIT: The magazine is Australian Cross Stitch and Embroidery, Vol 7 No 2. You can often pick these up on Australian e-Bay.

Next is Drawn Threads' 'An Open Heart'. I've really been enjoying stitching this again. I've completed the drawn thread areas (5 and 7) as well and the instructions in the leaflet made that a much easier task than how I would have tackled it. My process would have been to withdraw every second thread and re-weave every second but because the border is stitched over the top of the cut threads, there was really no need to go to all that trouble. I love Drawn Thread charts - the instructions are always pretty clear.

The colours in this one are lovely too and so much nicer in real life. I'm using lovely Heritage linen for this one in Cafe Au Lait.

I'm aiming to finish all the 'sampler' during my holidays ('til Feb 13) and then work on the border during February and March.

My M Designs piece in red is coming along nicely too now I have found and fixed the mistake in counting that I made many months ago! I am aiming to finish this square, tomorrow :)

The Celtic Heart design is one I've stitched a few times now as gifts, it is quick and easy to stitch, but so effective depending on the thread and fabric you use :) As I have discussed before there are initials going in the two opposing squares but I'm just not sure whose yet. I'm leaning towards keeping this one myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog, and I *LOVE* the Dad's Sampler. I think my dad would love it (he lives in Australia). Unfortunately, I've never seen that magazine over here - is this issue available online anywhere?

Mel in Dubai said...

I love all your progress pics! You've done heaps on An Open Heart. Which reminds me, I had the urge to work on mine a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't find it. Must go searching and see where I've stashed it away. Obviously put it away to keep it safe over the summer but now I'll be blowed if I can remember where!!