Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Biscornu - what exactly does it mean...

Not knowing what biscornu actually meant sent me on a bit of a research mission today. I checked my "Pincushions" book by Averil Colby. While there were lots of little cushions, none of the biscornu kind appear in there. (I'm thinking I might try a couple of the examples she shows in her book!)

You can find it here at Emli's or here (same edition as I have) for 10% of the price, failing that from ebay if you're lucky! Most of the the ones I have seen though seem to have more modern pincushions featured on the cover...be sure to ask if you are buying a newer edition that it has all the great history in it as well :) It's a fabulous book!!

A google search was productive however and as Josephine correctly refers, 'biscornu' is not a noun...rather an adjective, as explained here in Google "Answers". If you're interested, take a look at the whole thread and find out that what I made is acutally a "pique-aiguilles biscornu" or an irregular pincushion :) or a " coussinet biscornu" an irregular little cushion....

All very elegant terms...I'm not sure which I prefer!

No comments: