Sunday, June 12, 2005

Art? Or Not

http://www.briangrossfineart.com/exhibitions/ssollins05.html

There has been quite some discussion on a few needlework groups I belong to about this particular exhibition.

"New York artist Stephen Sollins opens a show of new work, Domestic Scenes, at Brian Gross Fine Art.. ...In this exhibition, Sollins examines the disparity between "high" and "low " art by systematically abstracting sentimental cross-stitched, vintage embroideries. "

You will have to bear with me as I am not that eloquent when it comes to topics such as this - but I will do my best to explain what I mean and my reaction.

My opinion has always been, "Art is 'art' as long as the person who made it says it is", I don't always understand it or like it on a personal level, but I do appreciate the thought processes and the personal philosophy behind it. The artist is really the only person who 'knows what it's all about', they are the only one who can give it total meaning. The rest of us have to guess unless of course we have an intimate knowledge of the artist, or are privy to their private thoughts.

Some think that the additions to these historical pieces of embroidery amounts to desecration of women's history; and the comment "Sollins eulogizes the anonymous craftsperson while elevating commonplace linens to fine art." has riled some so much as to send email to the artist. I say this means that his exhibition is a success....he has garnered a reaction to his 'art' and isn't that what art is about - an artist making a statement and people's reactions to it? Our reactions become part of the artist's work and justifies the existence of the work.

I am NOT an art student, I am not an art critic other than to say what I do and don't like.

I like Boticelli, Manet, Picasso, but not particularly da Vinci; I like Mozart and Vivaldi but not particularly Beethoven. So I don't particularly like Stephen Sollins' latest work, but I looked at it and can appreciate it for what it is. HIS statement, HIS idea, HIS work.

Did any of that make sense?:

2 comments:

Jenn L in Chicago said...

The crafter in me is in shock at his destruction of the original work. Even if they were reproduction samplers stitched in the last decade as opposed to truly vintage pieces, what right does he have to destroy someone else's work in this way?

The art viewer (is that the right word here?) in me is curious. The colored block thing just doesn't call to me at all, but the overlay of the blocks on the samplers is such a shocking difference in styles that it definitely does call attention.

Nia said...

Thanks for your comment Jenn...

Later on today I wondered what might happen if I took a famous artwork - say a Picasso, erased part of it and superimosed my own thoughts and ideas.

It's like "musicians" who sample other's work and call it their own. Technically I suppose it's difficult to achieve something worthy of listening to, but in my opinion - never as good as the original.